Ellipitcal Bridge Rail
Tex-Tube Ellipitcal Bridge Rail
- GSI Tex-Tube Elliptical Bridge White Paper
- Manufacturer Specifications
- Sample Detail of Elliptical Tube Bollard
GSI is the master distributor for Tex-Tube Elliptical Tube in the United States. We supply fabricators raw tube and splices or can produce the final product per job specifications.
Although bridge rail constitutes only 2 to 5 percent of the total cost of a bridge, it is of incalculable value to the citizens for whom the bridge is built. No matter how magnificent the bridge design, a visually-appealing railing will impact public acceptance. That is why an elliptical bridge rail is the choice of an ever increasing number of bridge engineers across the nation.
With over 40 years of highway use, elliptical bridge railing is still the right choice on today's bridges. Texas, Pennsylvania, Florida, Maryland, and other are currently using elliptical tube in NCHRP 350 Test Level 3 (TL3), Test Level 4(TL4), and Test Level 5 (TL5) bridge rail applications. Although having other advantages, the primary motivation behind this use is that elliptical rail provides an open and aesthetically pleasing bridge rail… it simply looks good!
Advantages of Elliptical Tube Bridge Rail
- Aesthetically pleasing and open feel. Has been used on several signature bridges.
- Strength of 6" pipe with the visual impact of 4" pipe
- 5LX-52 has a higher strength-to-weight ratio than standard pipe thus increased cost savings
- Elliptical shape is stronger in the x-direction than comparable 6” round
- Mill-rolled to its final shape thus negating the cost of secondary "squashing" operation
- Mill-rolled mating splice tube also available
- Mill-rolled elliptical rail offers superior consistency and unsurpassed mating splice tube fit
- Radii to 16 feet
- Cost effective retrofit for older concrete bridge railing
GSI’s Tex-Tube elliptical bridge rail is truly the best source for your state’s elliptical bridge rail needs. Please contact us with any questions or for a quote on your railing or bollard project.
State Standards in Use
|TxDOT T401 Concrete Parapet w/Stl Post and Rail (33” tall) (TL-3)||
TxDOT T402 - Concrete Parapet w/Stl Post and Rail (42” tall) (TL-3)
TxDOT C402 - T402 w/Steel Pipe Rail (42” tall) (TL-3)
|TxDOT HT Heavy Truck Traffic Rail (50” tall)||Picture||Standard|
|PennDOT HT Bridge Barrier (TL-5)|
|FDOT C402 - Special Project, Standard Pending (TL-3)|
|FDOT HT Retrofit - Special Project Pending (TL-4)|
|Maryland HT Rail (TL-5)|
ProjectsTL3 Elliptical Bridge Rail Projects
Wichita Falls, TX
Brevard County, Florida